Sunday, March 10, 2013

Mind, Body, and Spirit – Week 2


Mind, Body, and Spirit – Week 2

                The first week and a half of “no soda” didn't go so well, but I won’t beat myself up over it considering that I drank less than I had two weeks previous. I picked myself up, dusted myself off, and started anew last Monday. To date, I've consumed a single 20 oz. Mountain Dew. I was extremely tired at work and thought it might wake me up. It tasted horrible.

                Honestly, the thing that’s saved me is Kool-Aid. I realize that I’m adding empty calories back to my diet, but it doesn't have all the other extra nasties that you find in soda, and it doesn't affect my IC like soda does. I have this odd thing going on where I cannot have a salty meal without a sweet beverage. I can usually get by with water, but if I’m eating one of my favorite foods, I feel compelled to drink something sweet with it. The Kool-Aid has proven to be a good replacement. It calls for an entire cup of sugar, but I've cut it down by an eighth of a cup with plans to use only 3/4 cup in the near future. It’s working so well that I haven’t had a craving for Coke. All seems well on the IC front, and I’ll begin my next transition in a week or so.

                This one is going to be rough, but after a recent event, I’m suddenly more inspired to kick the smoking habit. My mother was taken to the hospital on Friday for a blood clot in her leg. They told us Saturday morning that she had a few small ones in her lungs as well. Fortunately, they aren't affecting her breathing, but they have kept her there for observation and testing while they adjust her medication to the correct level. She told me, rather sternly, that being a smoker who takes birth control doubles the risk of getting a blood clot. Of course there is a whole list of other horrible things that can happen to a smoker, the least being cancer. But her admonition was rather well timed.

No comments:

Post a Comment